MAY BAILEY’S FRENCH APPLE PANCAKES
¾ cups flour ½ tsp. salt 2 tbsp. sugar 1 tsp. baking powder 2 eggs ½ tsp. grated lemon rind 2/3 cup milk 1/3 cup water 3 apples Optional: Powdered sugar and/or maple syrup
- Sift ¾ cups flour with ½ tsp. salt, 2 tbsp. sugar and 1 tsp. baking powder
- Beat 2 eggs, then add 2/3 cup milk, 1/3 cup water, and ½ tsp. grated lemon rind. Beat and set aside while you prepare apples. Mince 3 apples into a fine hash. Fry quickly in a little butter and sweeten to taste.
- In a heavy iron skillet, fry very thin pancakes. When brown on the underside, spread a layer of minced, cooked apple hash. Pour another very thin layer of batter over pancakes.
- Turn the whole pancake over and brown on the reverse side. Serve hot, dusted with powdered sugar or with maple syrup.
DIANA’S HOT MULLED CIDER
½ cup brown sugar 1 tsp. whole allspice 1 tsp. whole cloves 8 cups cider ¼ tsp. salt Pinch grated nutmeg 2 orange slices 2 cinnamon sticks
- Combine all the ingredients (except orange and cinnamon) in a saucepan and slowly bring to a boil. Cover and simmer for 20 minutes.
- To serve, strain into small punch cups and garnish with orange slices and cinnamon sticks.